Jonathan is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution team. He is a former English Solicitor, English Barrister and will shortly be admitted as a Jersey Advocate. He also sits as a Commissioner of Appeal for Tax.
He has over twenty years’ experience of dealing with all aspects of commercial litigation, encompassing a broad range of business, corporate, insolvency and trust disputes. He is a pragmatic litigator and is able to see the “bigger picture” both in the context of ongoing proceedings and the client’s wider objectives.
He has regularly acted for well-known companies, shareholders and office holders, dealing with matters from inception through to trial as a solicitor and appearing at interim hearings, trials and on appeal as a barrister. He has also represented clients at mediation where he adopts a solution-focussed and commercial approach.
Since joining Dickinson Gleeson in July 2020, Jonathan has been involved in a number of high value cross-border disputes, including:-
- Advising the directors of a group of Jersey companies in relation to a multi-million dispute between joint venture partners involving allegations of deceit, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract. The case involved parallel proceedings in Jersey and England and insolvency processes in respect of certain of the companies.
- Advising a MENA based private investment company in relation to ongoing proceedings in Jersey arising from a dispute with other investors and funders regarding a significant property development in central London, which is held through a Jersey structure.
- Advising a Luxembourg-based Trustee in Bankruptcy in relation to an application to open parallel insolvency proceedings in Jersey related to one of the world’s largest serviced office providers. The proceedings made new law in relation to standing to commence creditors winding-up proceedings in Jersey (https://www.jerseylaw.je/judgments/unreported/Pages/JCA085.aspx)
- Advising the Trustee of the so-called Z Trusts in relation to multiple claims arising out of court-approved insolvency regimes as well as a substantial claim against a former trustee for grossly negligent breach of trusts arising from its investment in a former sports club business.
- Advising the trustee of a Jersey trust in relation to substantial claims for investment losses arising out of the global financial crisis.
- Advising HNW and UHNW individuals in relation to potential private law claims against financial institutions arising out of informally frozen bank accounts and investments.
‘‘Jonathan Barham . . . spots the key points in the case very quickly and is able to break a case open to his client’s advantage.’ (Legal 500 2024)
‘Jonathan Barham has a fantastic eye for detail.’ (Legal 500 2023)
Jonathan is a member of Lincoln’s Inn, ConTrA and TL4 FIRE
Telephone: +44 (0) 1534 737 757